Are you interested in saving money on your energy bills? Are you looking to increase your overall comfort and be able to monitor your home’s temperature while you’re away? If your answer is “yes,” you should consider installing a smart thermostat.
So, how much does it cost to install a smart thermostat?
In Michigan, you can expect to pay anywhere from $450 to $800, with the average cost being $650.
Smart thermostat installation costs can vary, depending on the following factors:
- The brand and model
- Add-on features
- DIY vs. professional installation
In this blog, we’ll go over each of these factors in greater detail so you can better understand what to expect when it comes to installation costs.
Ready to Lower Your Heating and Cooling Bills With a Smart Thermostat ASAP?
Give Thornton & Grooms a call at (248) 644-7810 for or a complimentary, upfront estimate on the best smart thermostat for your Michigan home. One of our expert HVAC technicians will answer all of your questions and then provide you with various smart thermostat options suited for your energy needs and budget.
The Brand and Model
The make and model of your smart thermostat will impact your installation costs. For example, more well-known brands like Google Nest and Ecobee cost more than more budget-friendly brands like Emerson.
While you might be hesitant to buy a smart thermostat because of the initial price tag, smart thermostats can save you money in the long run. For example, in a study done by Nest, their smart thermostat saved consumers an average of 10–12% on heating costs and up to 15% on cooling costs.
Depending on your budget and preferences, there are several different brands and models of smart thermostats to choose from. Here are some popular picks:
- Mysa Smart Thermostat: Starts at $119 and is compatible with most electric baseboard heaters, electric in-floor heating systems, and window/portable/ductless AC systems. The Mysa is easy to install and adapts to your location to help you save on energy while you’re away from home. It also comes with an easy-to-use app for instant temperature control, scheduling, and even energy reports for daily usage review.
- Emerson Sensi Touch: Starts at $169, is Energy Star certified, and is compatible with most HVAC systems. This smart thermostat installs in 30 minutes or less and can save you up to 23% in annual energy costs.
- Honeywell Home T9: Starts at $199, installs in 60 minutes or less, and is even eligible for utility rebates. The Honeywell Home T9 smart thermostat helps homeowners balance the temperature and humidity of their entire home using “smart sensors” placed in multiple rooms throughout your house.
- Ecobee Smart Thermostat with Voice Control: Starts at $249, is compatible with most HVAC systems, installs in 45 minutes or less, and is Energy Star certified. The Ecobee Smart Thermostat with Voice control is also compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google, Apple Siri, IFTTT, and more. If you don’t have your smartphone handy, you can control your thermostat through voice commands.
- Google Nest Learning Thermostat: Starts at $249 and has more than 31,000 reviews in the Google store, making this one of the most popular smart thermostats on the market. It’s sleek and modern and was the very first smart thermostat to become Energy Star certified. In addition to various energy-saving features, the Nest provides automated maintenance reminders and HVAC alerts. So if something goes wrong, you can call for a repair before a breakdown happens.
Most smart thermostats come with advanced energy-saving features; some added technological features will increase your installation costs.
Some of these available features include:
- Geofencing: This helps automatically control your thermostat based on your physical location. Your smart thermostat communicates with an app on your phone to create a geofence (or electronic boundary) near your home. As soon as you cross that electric boundary, your app automatically turns your thermostat on or off as programmed.
- Alerts: Your smart thermostat will let you know if or when something goes amiss inside your house when you’re not home. For example, if your home’s temperature drops significantly, your smart thermostat will send you an alert letting you know that your pipes may be in danger of freezing.
- Room sensors: Room sensors can sense when occupants are in the area and adjust your thermostat settings accordingly. This feature can make heating and cooling much more efficient.
- Energy tracking and reporting: This is a great money-saving feature that will monitor the parts of your house that use more energy than others and at what time of the day, allowing you to adjust your temperature settings accordingly.
DIY vs. Professional Installation
Although installing a smart thermostat in your home may appear simple, it’s not as easy as it sounds. A professional HVAC technician will answer all of your questions, provide you with the best smart thermostat options for your heating and cooling preferences and budget, and ensure the wiring is safely and correctly installed. A professional installation will add to your costs but can save you money in the long run by correctly installing the smart thermostat.
A vital factor that a technician will consider when choosing a smart thermostat is its compatibility with your HVAC system. Some smart thermostats don’t work with certain HVAC systems. For example, the most basic Google Nest thermostat won’t work if you have a two-stage heat pump, but the Google Nest Learning thermostat will. Another factor is installing multiple thermostats to control different systems with a separate heating and cooling system.
Hiring a professional like Thornton and Grooms for your smart thermostat installation ensures you'll get the desired benefits from a smart thermostat.
Ready to Install Your New Smart Thermostat? Contact Thornton & Grooms.
We truly care about providing excellent service to our customers and our community. With thousands of 5-star Google reviews (we reply to each one!), it seems our customers agree! Call us for your smart thermostat estimate and upfront, flat-rate pricing today. We proudly offer some of the best Real Guarantees in the state for HVAC service.
You can call us at (248) 644-7810 or click the button below to make a same-day appointment.